The Silver Flash was located to the right of the Main Gate on Western Avenue, immediately adjacent to the campus of Lane Tech High School. This was one of three "shrouded" or covered coasters in the park. The other two were the Blue Streak and the Comet.
The Silver Flash was originally built as "The Pippin" . In the 1930's, some cars of the train uncoupled and collided, injuring over sixty people. This prompted a name change to "The Silver Streak". Later, this was changed to "The Silver Flash". In its last years, the name was shortened to "The Flash".
In the background you can see the top portion of one of the houses facing the park on Western Avenue and the north tower of the Main Entrance gate. Sailors from the Great Lakes Naval Base were regular attenders at the park.
The Silver Flash was one of two landmarks that let us kids know that we were getting close to Riverview. The other was the "Pair-O-Chutes". The tower and coaster tracks could be seen for quite a distance as we drove north on Western Avenue. They were exciting days.